Friday, February 21, 2014

Chapter 26 - The Loyalty of a Cat

January 2nd, 7:49 AM

“I’ve got it! I’ve got it!” the mage student cried out.

“Great! Now we just have to find Ally. How much time do we have left?” Ven asked, looking over at Carumati who was watching the time.

“Ten minutes.”

~*F*~


“Ten minutes! What’s Kon been doing this whole time? Where are they?”

At this moment, Kon walked in and plopped himself down on the nearest chair. He looked so down-cast and miserable that Ven and Carumati weren’t quite sure if it was him at first.

“Kon?” Ven spoke carefully.

“She’s gone....” Kon whispered.

“What?”

“She’s gone. She’s gone, she’s gone and it’s all my fault.” Kon hugged his knees and buried his face.

“I don’t understand, Kon, what happened?”

“She remembered. She remembered everything. She’ll never forgive me for not telling her.”

“We’ve gotta go looking for her.”

“It’s no use. She’s not gonna want to come back.”

“Vos qui non habet fidem,” Carumati said, but was ignored.

“Have you no faith in your own teammate? Just because Ally is cat-like doesn’t mean she’s just going to abandon you. Even though she abandoned Blake, she simply felt that she was no longer needed there. The reason she left was because she had a new job elsewhere. She kept her promise to Blake right? She never abandoned anyone. She just never explains herself. And you want to give up on her because she walked away? If you really knew who she was, you’d have confidence that she’d come back.”

“So how come you know so much about her, huh?”

“I’ve watched her.”

“Stalker.”

“I am not!... Anyway, I’m going to go look for her.” Ven grabbed his coat and opened the door, but stopped. There, sitting in the doorway was the black cat which was Ally. She leisurely wandered in, rubbed up against Ven’s legs, hissed at Kon and then sat down at the mages’ feet.

“A-Ally?” Kon said, utterly surprised. “You came back? But...”

Ally just sat with her nose turned upwards in a haughty manner.

“Sh-she’s ignoring me....” Kon spoke sadly.

“Kon... you’re really weak when it comes to Ally aren’t you? Do you really like her that much?” Ven asked.

“I can’t help it! Her punch was so beautiful that first day we met!”

“What the-”

“I believe Kon is suffering from love sickness,” Carumati stated. “He’s acting just like Izo.”

“Silliness aside, Ally, I’m really sorry I didn’t have any faith in you. Do you forgive me?” Kon sat down next to her and held out his hand.

Ally turned, but only stared at him. Then she grudgingly placed one paw in his hand, her ears laying flat against her head in reluctance.

“Yay! You know, Ally, you’re really cute as a cat. I bet you’re a lot lighter too-” Here, Ally extended her claws which dug into the hand he was still grasping her with. “Ow. Ally, ow. That really hurts you know, could you please, please let go? Ow, ow, ow. I’m sorry, I won't make fun of your weight again. Please, let go.”

Ally let go and turned her back to him again, looking up at the mages.

“Oh, shoot! We’re running out of time! Quick- Wait, where’s the other Ally?”

Kon spotted her at the door, trying to figure out how to open it, and quickly grabbed her. He kept a hold of her hand so she wouldn’t run away again.

“Alright, everyone ready? Let the souls of these two cats be reverted to how they used to be!” the student chanted.

“That doesn’t even rhyme,” Kon said.

“That’s it? Did it work?” Ven said.

Everyone stared at the two cats who both seemed to be in a trance. Suddenly the student mage spoke up. “Ah! Could it be... that I switched them right as the thirteen hours were up? If... if that’s the case, they may end up remaining in this transfixed state for all eternity.”

“What! You’ve gotta be kidding. Ally’s no better than dead if that’s the case.”

Kon began shouting. “Bring her back right now, you-!” But he was suddenly interrupted by a slap in the face. He looked and saw he was holding onto a very angry Ally Kat.

“I said to let go of my hand! Just because I went on a date with you that one time does not mean you have permission to hold my hand! Where are we anyway? And who are these people?”

“Huh? Wait, don’t tell me...” Kon began.

“You forgot?” Ven stated, surprised.

“Ah! It must have been a side affect from switching the souls! None of the memories were switched along with them,” the mage teacher surmised. “We can try to find a way to switch them, if you like....”

“No, no! Ally wouldn’t want that, she wouldn’t want that at all! Right Ally? It’s not like you want to remember being a cat?”

“Being a cat? What are you talking about?”

“You switched bodies with a cat,” Ven explained.

“It was the result of the mages failed showing,” Carumati added.

“And you were both running around and we had to go looking for you before time ran out.”

“And then you remem-”

Ven slapped his hand over Carumati’s mouth. “Ah, you remembered where you could find Kon and came back in the nick of time.”

“...Well, whatever. I don’t really care if you switch the memories or not, but I should think that it would be difficult anyway, so I won't ask it of you. I’m sure these guys can fill in all the details. I’m kinda disappointed though. I was really enjoying that festival. Oh, well.”

“Ah! We could always come back next year,” Kon suggested.

“No, it doesn’t matter. I’ll be looking forward to Kon and Blake’s fight.” Ally began walking to the door and stopped. “And Kon... don’t just stand there. That would be boring. I’ll be counting on you to win for me, because I really want to stay in GWANAN.” Looking back Ally said, “I got my memories back as a cat, right? I can tell by the desperate look on your face. It looks really funny. And I also have this strange feeling of satisfaction. Somehow, I feel like I don’t care about those things anymore. It’s like you always said, it’s all in the past. From now on, I’m only looking forward.”

Everyone just stood and stared for a minute and Ally seemed to grow nervous. “Um... did I say something wrong?”

“That... was so beautiful! I was moved to tears!” Kon exclaimed.

“It was just like in a book. I feel inspired!” Fable declared.

“It was truly a heart-warming remark,” Ven spoke.

“Amicus,” Carumati said.

“You guys are freaking me out.”

“Ha ha! Ally, we’re just glad to have you back and in high spirits, that’s all,” Ven explained.

With this, they argued and teased each other all the way back to the airship where they had a nice, long catnap.

No comments:

Post a Comment