Friday, August 30, 2013

Chapter 2- A Typical Day With GWANAN

 August 23rd 9:28 PM

“So, I wasn't able to spy on you guys after all,” I said.

“It's really hard to hunt a hunter. I know, I've done it myself,” the girl called Ally Kat replied.

“I wasn't hunting. I was observing.”

“Why? Why were you following us?” Konrad asked.

“I'm an author. If you don't mind, I'd like to observe from the sidelines and write about what you guys do. Naturally, I would change your names so people wouldn't know.”

Konrad sneered. “Not a chance. Even if you weren't lying, you'd just be in the way.”

“I promise, I'll only get as close to you guys as I need to. If there's anything I need, I'd just ask you. U-unless that would bother you.... In which case I would just make do with half a story. Please! I don't care if I get killed. If I can just get this story, I wouldn't mind dying, knowing I accomplished something at least.”

“We don't have time for this, kid. We've got somewhere to go and something to do. Just go home and enjoy life. You're young. You can accomplish plenty with the time you've got without having to bother us.”

The three of them turned their backs to me and I could feel my only chance slipping away. “I'll keep following you! No matter where you go, or what you do, I'll follow you whether you like it or not! You'll have to kill me, to get rid of me!”

The three kept walking, leaving me standing alone on the street.

~*F*~


“You know, Kon, if we just keep running around like this, we'll never pay off our debts,” Alameda informed as she stood on one hand and practiced shooting with the other.

“Don't worry, we're heading for a big job. I'll bet we'll be out of the red after this one. How much do we owe, anyway?” Konrad asked, taking a sip of coffee.

“About ten-thousand, give or take a thousand,” Ally replied.

Konrad sputtered and coughed. Wiping off his mouth, he repeated, “Ten-thousand? A couple weeks ago it was just two-thousand!”

“Yeah, but that was before the incident with the Cotopo family. We wound up blowing that whole building just to find them, remember? The town charged us five-thousand for the damages.”

“It was just a building!”

“A very nice building, with a lot of expensive things. I told you not to do it, but would you listen? Noooo!” Alameda paused her shooting to glare at him.

“Alright, alright, I'll be careful next time. But did you see that thing blow up? It went kaboom! Didn't it excite you at least a little bit?”

Alameda continued to glare at him.

“You need to learn to loosen up a bit, Ally. I'm sure that all this pent up anger will blow one day and then we'll have to pay for your funeral too.” Konrad smiled at her.

“That face doesn't suit you, Konrad. Would you like me to fix it for you?” Ally Kat asked, cocking her gun.

“You two going at it again?” Ven asked as he walked in the room.

“Ven, would you please explain to Konrad that he's about an inch away from getting a black eye?” Ally asked, resuming her target practice.

“Ven, don't side with her, you know she's just a big baby,” Konrad spoke.

“Ven, you know better than that, I'm only concerned for the well-being of our pocketbook, is all.”

“Ha! Fine job your doing, making a mess of it!”

“How would you like a sock in the mouth?”

“How would you like to be fired?”

“Everybody, stop it!” Ven yelled.

Ally and Konrad both looked over at Ven who suddenly realized he was seen with an angry face and immediately put on a nervous smile. “I mean, uh, you're kinda wrecking my concentration, and I need to figure this out if we're gonna survive, you know?”

“Heh. You're always called the dummy of the group, but I honestly think you're smarter than either of us,” Konrad laughed.

“Speak for yourself,” Ally Kat said, still shooting at her target. “He's just quiet is all.”

“You're so mean, Ally. How could you say that when he's right here?”

“The same way you don't care about our debts.”

“Hey, I got us a job, what more can I do?”

“Ah! You made me miss!”

“What are you talking about, you still hit the target.”

“Yeah, but not the middle.”

“Ally?”

“What?”

“Don't tell me you've been hitting the middle every time.”

“Of course I have! Until you interfered.”

“Ally?”

“What?”

“If you've been hitting the same place every time, wouldn't there be a hole in it by now?”

Ally Kat laughed. “No worries, there's a bullet proof backing on the target.”

Suddenly there came a large clang as the metal backing crashed to the floor.

“Ally?”

“...What?”

“We don't have enough money for a new target.”

“I know that!” Ally Kat stomped out of the room as Konrad laughed.

“Konrad, you keep teasing her like that and she really will punch you,” Ven warned.

“Ah, I know that, but she's so much funnier when she's mad. Otherwise, she's serious and always dwelling on her lost memories.”

“Still, I think you went too far, loosening the backing on the target so that it would fall at just the right moment.”

“Ah, so you knew that was my doing?”

“I happen to know the builder of that target. I know his quality.”

“Oh, you do? You should take me to him sometime.”

“No one move,” Ally Kat said, coming out of the room.


Konrad spoke as he turned to face her. “Ally, I'm sorry, it was just a jo-” He stopped short at the sight of Ally Kat standing there, perfectly serious, with a gun in her hand pointing straight at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment