Saturday, December 28, 2013

Chapter 19 - Ally's Secret

December 27th, 2:33 PM

Christmas was over. After Christmas sales were beginning, and all the world was a buzz. Meanwhile, GWANAN sat snug in their airship, flying above everyone. It was while they drank hot chocolate that Ven said, “Hey! Ally, don’t you still need a coat?”

“Hmm? Oh, yeah! I do. I was hoping one of you would get it for me for Christmas, but I guess not. I’ll go today. They may have a sale going,” Ally replied.

“I’ll go with you. Maybe I’ll use my date certificate tonight,” Konrad thought out loud.

“No! Not a chance!”

“Why not? It’s your Christmas present to me, right?”

“No! Well, I mean, yeah, but I didn’t want it to be so soon, during the busy season. I was thinking it would be best to go when things are less crowded.” Ally explained. Though to me, it seemed like a complete lie.

“But it’ll be cheaper and you can get it out of the way and not worry about it anymore, right? Lets go tonight!” Konrad tried to convince her.

“No, well, we can go tonight, just don’t go shopping with me.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m afraid you’ll see something you like and buy it and waste your money.” This too, appeared to be a lie.

“I promise I wont spend any extra money. Cross my heart.”

“No, I can’t trust you. Besides, I have to borrow your coat in order to buy one, I don’t want you to go cold.”

“You can borrow Ven’s instead.”

So, after much more arguing, the reluctant Ally Kat finally had no more reasons he couldn’t go with her and they ended up going together. This was when all was revealed....

~*F*~

“Ally, are you okay?” Kon asked.

“Huh? I’m fine. Just fine,” Ally replied, wringing her hands nervously.

“Are you sure? You seem nervous.”

“Well, I’ve never gone shopping with anyone before,” Ally replied.

“Not even Blake?”

“No, I- Hang on. How do you know about Blake?” Ally asked, suddenly stopping and looking at Kon.

“Ven told me about him. He said he was in love with you and then you turned him down, faked your death and left. I’ve never heard of anyone who wanted to avoid a relationship so much that they faked their own death.”

“I never faked my death! I was shot and fell down in the sewer. I wasn’t faking anything! I just never showed up again. You should know that better than anyone. They probably figured out by now that I’m not dead.”

“Hmmm.... Hey. This is your home town right? Isn’t it really close to In-between town?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Maybe you should go visit him and let him know you’re alright.”

“Huh? No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! It’s too soon. He’s probably just finally getting over his feelings for me. It would be cruel to show up now and renew them just to leave again.”

“I doubt it. What if he has a girlfriend now?”

“Then good for him. Now, are we going to get that coat or not?”

“Sure. I’m just glad you’re back to yourself and not wringing your hands and shaking all the time.”

Ally gave him a glare at first, then it gradually turned to a smile. She found she couldn’t get mad at him now that her nervousness was gone.

“That’s really weird though, that you’ve never been shopping with anyone before. Why don’t you ever go with anyone?”

“I guess I just never get the opportunity.” Ally said simply.

Konrad gave her a suspicious side glance. They arrived at a coat store and stepped inside. Everywhere they looked, coats hung in row after row after row. Ally began backing away, but Konrad grabbed her arm and walked her over to the ladies section.

“Alright, what color, do you like? Ally?”

Ally stood, far back, away from the coats, her face flushed. “Ah, I’ll be right back,” she said. “I need to go to the restroom.” She quickly dashed away from Konrad until she was out of sight. Breathing a sigh of relief, Ally found a water fountain and took a drink to calm herself down.

Konrad waited for a while for her to come back, browsing through the coats and thinking of how most of them had fake pockets. If they’re going to put fake pockets, why not just make real ones? It makes no sense, he thought. “What’s taking that girl so long?” Kon said to himself. “Maybe I should go look for her.” Kon put back the coat and walked towards the girl’s bathroom. Out of the corner of his eye, Kon glimpsed Alameda looking at some gloves and was about to call out to her, when he noticed something. Ally was looking at them with such a dreamy look on her face. Boy, she must really like those gloves. I’ve never seen her look so dreamy about something before, Kon thought. Ally then sighed and put the gloves back on the wrack and was about to turn around, then stopped and saw another pair. She quickly ran and grabbed them and tried them on. Doing the same thing for several more gloves, scarves and hats, Ally finally tried on one of each at once and stood in front of the mirror with them. She gazed at herself with much excitement and jumped up and down, spun around, and made many poses. Just as she was flipping her hair back in an exaggerated manner, she noticed the Kon in the mirror standing behind her and stopped, her face turning bright red with embarrassment. Trying hard not to laugh, Kon approached her and pretending not to have noticed, he asked, “Oh, so this is where you were Ally? What were you doing? Don’t you already have a hat and gloves and scarf?”

Ally, taking the bait and thinking he must not have seen her, calmly took them off, putting them back on the rack. “I was just trying them on to figure out if Carumati might like them. She said hers were getting kind of worn out.”

“Didn’t she just get some for Christmas?”

“Oh, yeah. I- I guess I forgot.”

“Silly, hurry up and lets find you a coat.” Kon turned away from her and revealed his smile, trying so very hard not to laugh out loud.

They returned to the coats and Kon handed her one to try on. She stood as stiff as a board with it on, but as soon as Kon turned around, he sneaked a glance back at her and found her quickly spin and flap her arms about. He turned back around and Ally immediately resumed her stiff position. “What do you think?” he asked her.

“Oh, it’s okay I guess,” she said, putting it back on the rack.

“Then why are you putting it back?”

“Because I want to try on oth- uh, because I think the sleeves were a bit too short on me.

“Oh, okay. Then how about this? Doesn’t it look nice?” Kon pulled out a bright, yellow coat that he knew she would hate and turned around and snuck a glance again. She took one look and immediately put it back again. “It’s too big,” she stated. Kon continued this many more times with her, and then said he was thirsty and would go get a drink, but really hid behind the mirror and watched from there. Ally quickly began trying on tons of coats and twirling and strutting down the aisles. Kon returned and Ally assumed a casual look about her. “Here, I want this one, lets go.” Kon grinned as she walked away and then they checked out and left the store.

“So where do you want to go for our date?” Kon asked. But Ally didn’t answer. Noticing she was no longer beside him, he turned to find her looking in the store window. He walked back to her and saw she was looking at some really adorable cat earmuffs.

“Kon. Stop me. Now.”

“Huh?”

Ally turned and looked up at him with puppy dog eyes. “I really really want them!”

Kon smiled. “Ally, are you by any chance the kind of person who can’t resist anything when they go shopping?” Ally’s face turned red again as she whimpered and nodded her head in a frustrated way. “Ha! Who would have known that Ally Kat would have this side to her? And she’s always so tight with money too. Alright, alright, stop looking at me like that. You know, I didn’t really intend for that mistletoe to be your Christmas present. Come on, I’ll go buy you the earmuffs, your red hat would really clash with your new coat anyway.”

Kon lead her inside and bought her the earmuffs. When they went out of the store, Ally was too embarrassed to wear them.

“I didn’t want anyone to find out my weakness like that.”

“Don’t be so embarrassed. You looked really cute when you were twirling about earlier in the store and flapping your arms like a duck.” Next second, Konrad found himself lying on the ground, his whole face stinging, and Ally stomping away. “Ah, well. It was worth it.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment