Friday, November 22, 2013

Chapter 14 - The Invisible Ice Giant

November 15th, 4:11 PM

“Bwahahahahaha! I knew the young Baird girl would not disappoint. What a large mind for that small body. It’s nice to know that she still has feelings for my beautiful masterpiece.... Izo!” The man shrouded in mystery gazed up at the young boy as he hung by the chains on his wrists on the wall like a picture out on display.

“What makes you say that?” came a raspy voice. “The little girl seemed perfectly willing to kill him.”

“No. Ultimately she only put him to sleep, which was her intention all along. He’s the only thing she has left to connect her to the past. She wont let him go so easily. Fortunately, this same boy is also my beloved puppet. The little genius will soon find herself being killed by the one person she loves and who loves her.”

“My Lord is always so intelligent about such things. Hehehehe!”

“Yes! But first we must capture her, in order to call her father out of hiding. I will make Baird pay for what he’s done to me....”

And yes.... I was indeed hiding inside their secret lair in order to hear all this. Never underestimate the abilities of a writer.

~*F*~


“It’s here. This is the invisible ice giants foot. Just follow me.”

“Wait, wont it feel us and see us?”

“It’s asleep. And I don’t think it’ll wake up just because a couple of bugs are crawling all over it.”

“I don’t know. I woke up because a fly ran into my forehead once.”

“What kind of flies do you have at your place?”

“Dumb, blind ones.”

“Well, we aren’t going to run into it’s forehead. Instead, we’ll be like the stealthy spiders that crawl into our mouths while we’re sleeping at night.”

“What a disturbing thought. But there’s one problem with it. The spiders never come back up, you know.”

“That’s why we mustn’t go anywhere without first securing a rope. And if we fall, we panic.”

“What a reassuring plan....”

Ven followed Konrad up the giant’s front until they got to the mouth. Carumati had given Konrad her gloggles that could see invisible things among a few other items and Konrad used these to guide Ven along the giant’s leg, onto his stomach, over his chest and finally up on it’s chin.

“This is rather disturbing, climbing in what seems like midair,” Ven commented as Kon attached a rope to the giant’s lip and threw the rope down.

“Yeah, it’s too bad Carumati didn’t have another set of these. Honestly, if she’s going to go through all the trouble of making them, she should just sell them and make tons of money.”

“Yeah, but Carumati only makes them for herself. She hates the idea of everyone being at her level by giving away her specialty.”

“That makes sense, I guess,” Kon replied. “Okay, well. Grab on tight and here goes nothing.” Ven grabbed Konrad’s back and Kon leaped down into the ice giant’s mouth. “Ah, Ven, you’re heavy. I’m used to carrying around Ally Kat. Though she’s not much lighter, to be honest.”

“I don’t know how Ally stands you. You’re always insulting her.”

“She doesn’t stand me. She just hits me. That seems to satisfy her,” Konrad responded.

“Kon- no, never mind. Forget I said anything.” Ven and Kon fell silent for a while before Ven spoke again. “I hope the girl’s are okay.”

“I’m sure they’re fine. They’re just looking for the Ice King. If they find them before we finish here, they’ll just send us a signal using these communication devices that Carumati set up,” Kon informed showing a little pin on his shirt.

“Huh? She did? When? And why is it shaped like a seahorse?”

“Just before we parted ways. She gave one to me and one to Ally. She only had two.”

“Oh. But what if Carumati decides she doesn’t want to wait for us?”

“That’s what we have Ally with her for. Ally’s situation is probably closer to Carumati’s than either of us, so it’ll be easier for her to convince her not to do something stupid.”

“Yeah, but did you ever consider the fact that Ally, being so much like Carumati, will just encourage her to fight without us?”

“Ah! You’re right! But don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll be done long before they find the Ice King,” Kon laughed nervously. Suddenly, the seahorse pin began to light up with a subtle blue and green and let out a strange, high-pitched noise.

“You were saying?”

“Um.... Yeah. We better hurry this up. Time to drop!”

“What? What! Hey! Don’t let gooooooooooooo!” Ven clutched Kon as they fell towards the bottomless pit while Kon laughed in delight. They landed heavily in a pile in a frozen ice room (though it was really the giant’s stomach).

“Ugh. I think I’m gonna be sick,” Ven spoke, clutching his stomach.

“Wait. Don’t tell me... you’re afraid of heights?” Kon asked.

“Yeah.” Ven didn’t bother to explain, as he was afraid of opening his mouth too much.

“The great air pilot... is afraid of heights? Ha! Come on, man, you gotta be joking.”

Ven shook his head.

“Hum. Having an upset stomach inside someone else’s stomach. Now that’s a weird thought.”

“Now I know why Ally hates you so much,” Ven said to himself, leaning against the wall.

[To all my readers: I’m sorry if you just ate lunch.]

“Well, no time for dilly dallying. Let’s go see if there are any survivors.”

“When we’re done, I think I’ll ask Ally to beat him up for me,” Ven mumbled.

The two of them walked on until they came upon a place where a ton of people (about 300) gathered, huddled together.

“Ah! So you did come in after all. We were trying to call to you, but it seems you couldn’t hear us. I guess you’re stuck in this invisible cell now too.” The man who spoke was large and buff and seemed to be the head of the clan. “I’m Mayor Pike. It’s nice to meet you, though I wish it could be under better circumstances.”

“Ah, I’m Kon and this is Ven. But there’s no need to worry about us. We came here to get you all out.” Kon and Ven then proceeded to explain everything about the city and the invisible ice giant. Though they said little about the Ice King, as they didn’t want to alarm anyone.

“Ah! Well in that case, tell us what to do,” the mayor spoke.

“It’s simple. We’re gonna blow up the ice giant,” Kon informed.

“Blow it up?”

“Indeed. I already lit the spark. All we have to do now is sit here and wait.”

“Wont we be blown up with it?” the mayor asked.

“We’re only blowing up the head. Then we have to somehow get the giant to lay down and then we can just walk out.”

“So how are we going to get the giant to lay down?”

“Don’t know.”

“What!” the mayor exclaimed.

Ignoring him, Konrad began to count down. “Five... four... three... two... one!”

Suddenly there was the sound of an explosion rumbling through the air and vibrating through the invisible giant as the dynamite blew up. Then, without warning, everything began to tilt sideways and everyone went rolling.

“Hey! I think the giant fell over due to the explosion,” Konrad announced as he stood up.

“You are seriously lucky, Konrad,” Ven grumbled angrily.

“Never. My plans always work perfectly. It’s nothing to do with luck. Alright! No one hurt? Good. Forward!”

Everyone followed Kon and Ven out of the giant through the head, though by now most had lost all confidence in their sanity. (“Hey! I’m perfectly sane! Don’t throw me in with Konrad,” Ven protested to the staring people).

“Ah, Kon. How did you set the fuse from all the way down in the stomach when it blew up the head?” Ven asked.

“Easy. I lit it right before we jumped down. The rope we were climbing down was the fuse, so I lit it right before we jumped.”

“....Konrad, you’re probably the most insane person I know.”

“Thank you! Now let’s go find Ally.”

~Meanwhile~

“Is that a tree house?”

“Yep.”

“With ‘The Ice King’s Evil Lair’ written on a sign across the front?”

“Yep.”

“Is the Ice King stupid?”

“Yep.”

Ally and Carumati turned to one another and grinned.

“Attack!” they yelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment